I hope all is well! Growing up in the Midwest, I looked forward to the fall season. I loved to see the leaves changing colors on the trees, although I never looked forward to raking those same leaves up once they fell to the ground. Fall continues to be my favorite time of the year, even though I don’t get to experience the beauty of the leaves changing so much. For some reason these darn palm trees refuse to change colors, lol. However, Vegas weather in October is so pleasant, especially after getting through a grueling hot summer. Another thing I enjoy is seeing the beautiful sunsets in the fall here. Some evenings the sky and the horizon is indescribably breathtaking. I have been known to pull over on the side of the road and take pictures of it. Now fall is also a time when I am excited about my wardrobe…layering pieces, cozy sweaters, jackets, hats, booties, tights, etc. Since I sew my own clothes, my new excitement comes from making the garments I want to wear for the season.
So let’s get into this week’s DIY look…(Disclaimer: my feet are super dusty in all of these pics from trying to take pictures in a national park where most people walk trails and hike, not wear heels, lol)
For the most part, every season I always got a new jacket or fall coat and when I became an adult, I began buying a different color wool coat every year. When I moved to Vegas 4.5 years ago, I only brought my top favorite wool coats. The colors include red, fuchsia, gray, and black (maybe an olive green one too). Now of course the necessity for many coats is not huge in this climate, so I don’t get new coats every year anymore.
Nevertheless, I have been craving a mustard-colored wool coat for a while, and at this point I knew I wanted to make it myself. However, I could never find the right fabric, until couple months ago when I saw this gorgeous wool melton coating from Fabric Mart. The timing was perfect, because I made up in my mind that I was making Simplicity 8469, View A out of something! I loved the pattern a lot and it did not disappoint me. I like this pattern so much that I hope to make View C with the cap sleeves.
View A features a long bell-shaped raglan-like sleeve, with pockets, a tie belt, darts, lining, and 8 large snaps. My snaps are magnetic and I found them at Hobby Lobby. I added a little extra detail by adding top stitching along the sleeves, center back, and belt loops.
After ruining my initial lining in the washing machine, I opted to use this glorious leopard print fabric that I had in my stash. A few years ago I picked this fabric up from Hancock Fabric. I didn’t know what I wanted to make out of it, well I had many ideas, which included a long maxi dress, a lightweight robe and lounge wear, a duster, and more. Since I could never decide, I saved it. Well this fabric served so well as my coat lining that I could not have been happier about my indecisiveness (at least this time, lol). So I am sharing a few pictures on my blog, but if you want more detailed pictures and comments on construction and the fabric, make sure to check out my post on Fabric Mart’s blog by clicking here. Before you do, here are a few pictures of my leopard print blouse!
I know it may not be obvious (smiley face), but I used the same fabric as my lining from the leftover fabric to make Simplicity 8216. This is a pullover top with a neck tie. After getting pretty far along on the necktie, I realized that I didn’t attach the necktie far enough along the neckline as it should have been. The tie should be attached along the neckline all the way towards the front of the blouse. I stopped stitching the tie to the neckline more towards the back, because I marked the stitch-to circle wrong from the pattern piece.
It turns out my error was not a deal breaker. I think it actually worked out, because it shows a little more skin around the neck and collar bone, which I find to be beautiful parts of the body. My pictures don’t really show the neckline well. The biggest benefit of my mishap is, I was able to get the blouse over my head AND that includes having my hair down to slip it over my head. I am not confident that I would have been able to put the top on without the extra space from having a little more opening to work with. From my experience, I do not feel this is the best pattern to make with any non-stretch or fragile fabric. I don’t think I am alone, because a fellow sewist and I were discussing on Instagram DM, the somewhat difficulties getting the tops over our heads with our fabric choices.
Another issue I had was with the sleeves on this pattern, I experienced difficulty getting the fit right. I ended up having to let the seam out a lot, as well as reducing the seam allowance around the armhole. Having a little more room also helped me to pull it over my head and slide my arms in. So although things worked out with this blouse and it is for sure fun with the coat, Simplicity 8216 will not go back into the rotation.
Well that’s all I have for this week. Don’t forget to go check out my blog post on Fabric Mart’s blog so you can read the full post with more details on my coat construction and how I prepped my fabric.
Until next time, be safe! Thanks for reading!
Yours truly, Tee
Make sure you subscribe to the blog to receive updates on the latest posts! Just scroll down the page on your mobile device or to the upper right corner of your computer screen. You may also follow via Bloglovin’ (see the link below).
Follow my blog with Bloglovin